Monday, May 27, 2019

Tony Stark: Iron Man #11


   I sometimes think modern comic book editors have forgotten the purpose of a cover. 

   (It's to lure in the reader by either teasing the story inside or using any of dozens of lures to make the comic attractive to him or her. A mystery to be solved, an impossible predicament, sex appeal - the list goes on and on.)

   When I picked up this issue of Tony Stark: Iron Man at the comics shop, the owner and I looked it over and over - neither one of us could make sense of the cover. Finally I realized that there's a face of sorts on the upper right side - but it looks like Ultron, who is not in this comic.

   I don't know, maybe I'm just an old fogey (guilty as charged) - but I don't think that cover is going to sell many issues for them. 

   The interior art is much easier to follow, thank goodness - but the story inside has gone on way too long. It has Tony's company creating a computer-based reality system / game which it taken over by the Controller and used to wreak havoc around the world (including countless deaths) and Tony is trapped in the system too and I kind of lost track of it at that point.

   It finally wraps up here, thank goodness, but it makes you wonder: what kind of hero is Tony, when so many people are hurt and even killed by his invention? And how can he possibly stay in business (or out of prison) given the inevitable lawsuits?

   I know, it's a comic book - but the insides seem as muddled as the outside.

Grade: B-

--------------------

   

1 comment:

Kevin Findley said...

The answer is a lot of super-hero insurance, Damage Control on speed dial, and dirt on lots of Congressmen, Senators, and Judges.