Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Event Burnout

    For quite a few years on this humble blog I've tried to cover the big "EVENT BOOKS" that Marvel and DC have rained down in ever-increasing numbers.

    As someone once said, "I ain't doin' that no more."

   I think it's safe to say that I'm suffering Event Burnout, and the industry is suffering from it, too.

   There are so many similar can't miss / must-see / bound to be a collector's item-type series that it takes someone with more patience than I possess to keep up.

   Just in the past months we have Death Metal, Future State, Endless Winter, Sword of X, Empyre, King in Black, Joker War and probably a couple of others I've forgotten about. Some crossover inside their comics "family" of books, and others cut across all titles.

   I know I'm a geezer, moving into my golden years, yelling at kids to get off my lawn - but I really have no patience to try to track down these massive storylines that weave between several books (most of which I probably don't buy anyway) - it's honestly become exhausting.

   So I give up! I've often thought that the comics companies seem to be trying to drive away the long-time readers, perhaps hoping the young readers will pick up the slack (assuming any are able to penetrate the massive obstacle of decades of continuity and thousands of supporting characters).

   The old political line is, "I didn't leave the (name of political) party, it left me." And sometimes I feel that way about comics - maybe the companies would be just as happy if I'd clear out.

   But the fact is, there are always books that appeal, and others that don't. 

   Right now, I'm looking for non-Event comics that tell a story with great artwork. 

   OK, end of rant.

9 comments:

Billy Hogan said...

I think the last event series I followed was Marvel's original Civil War. Now I just follow the titles and characters I like, and if I don't get the whole story because there is an Event Series that my character ties into, it's no big loss.

Chuck said...

Billy, that's largely been my approach as well - just continue buying the books I already read an ignore the rest. I have bought the main "Event" titles in the past, but it's going to have to be mighty enticing to lure me in again. You're right, it's not too difficult to sort out what part of the story was missed.

Anonymous said...

AMEN! (unless it's Jonathan Hickman wiring it and it doesn't include swords...)

Disneymarvel said...

I completely agree with you! Currently, I'm only buying Fantastic Four, but I'm about ready to abandon ship on buying any monthly books. Whenever you recommend something, I immediately check my local library and check out a trade collection. I think I agree with you at least 95% of the time.

Otherwise, I continue to buy Omnibus collections of favorites and pull old trade collections off my own shelves and am usually pleasantly greeted with the realization that I still enjoy what I read when I was younger.

Thanks so much for continuing to give reviews. They are much appreciated!

Chuck said...

Anon, I'm with you - Hickman is usually an automatic purchase.

DisneyMarvel, thanks for the kind words - 95% is an "A" in my book!

El Vox said...

I don't blame you for burnout, and that is perhaps where the Indies have stepped up to plate. For the most part you can dive right into the issue without a lot of back history (and histories that have changed drastically throughout the years: dead/not dead, man superhero/now a woman? Huh?). With all the changes and events, I think the comic companies have lost their way at times. They got away with the "one and done" story, but I think they should experiment with that format again at least with a few of their titles. A lot of the stories have gotten so "out there"; heck, I don't even know what I'm reading. I don't mind an Elsewhere book ever so often, but it seems that's more the norm these days.

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more. I avoid events like the plague (or name your virus). Just too many characters, slow plot, too many books, so hard to keep track of the story....

Hoy Murphy said...

My cutoff was Secret Wars II and Flashpoint. Fantastic Four is the only superhero comic I buy and I almost dropped it during that recent Kree Skrull crossover, whatever they called it. Hawkman was good until they canceled it, but that's what DC does with Hawkman on a regular basis. If you really must read these things, I suggest waiting until the collections come out and borrow them from the library or read them on you tablet on the Hoopla app.

Hoy

Billy Hogan said...

The last straw for me with event series was Heroes In Crisis. I was interested in reading it but couldn't fit it into my budget. When I discovered that the Wally West Flash was the villain of the series, I was glad I didn't read it because I wouldn't have liked seeing a superhero dragged down like that. I felt i dodged a bullet with that one.