Monday, September 21, 2020

Iron Man #1


    Hey, Iron Man is back! Again!

    From time to time, comics that I've read for decades chase me away - and Iron Man has been on that list for a while (along with Spider-Man, Captain America and Daredevil).

   It usually happens when a series wanders too far away from its roots - and when the story started winding around Tony Stark being a clone and not the actual son of Howard Stark, I finally walked away.

   But here we are, a new start and a new creative team - and some stunning covers by Alex Ross - so I'm back to give the series another chance.

   The issue starts fresh, with Tony trying to figure out his new path in life (and discovering that social media sucks). It allows closure on several past plot points and sets up a new and at least slightly different approach to the character.

    It doesn't hurt that an old friend stops by to join in on an adventure - a lighthearted character who's one of my favorites (and I won't name that hero to keep from spoiling the fun).

   The waters are still a bit muddy, as Tony deals with some issues - but it feels like a really strong start, with a solid story and terrific art. (And I really like the new / old armor design.)

   Glad to see one of my favorite characters back in form again! More like this, please!


Grade: A-

--------------

No comments: