Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Walt Disney Comics & Stories #184 (1956)



   I frankly have no idea which comic book I read first.

  With two older brothers and lots of cousins, comic books were always around, but I have no clear memories of them. I have vague memories of comics with Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, the Road Runner and - of course - Donald Duck.

   It's possible (though unlikely) that this issue was one of those early "reads" - I really have no idea. (It was printed a few years before I actually starting reading.)


   I mean, comic books were everywhere when I was a kid. All my friends had some lying around, you could find them at the home of my Aunts and Uncles, my Grandparents, that summer camp we'd visit - they were almost impossible to get away from. 

   (Those were the days!)

   But now, at my (ahem) advanced age, it's difficult to remember those early titles. One of the problems is that the covers of all of those titles I listed usually had nothing to do with the interiors - so no help there.

   The Dell books also used a strange numbering system - for example, this issue has #184 on the cover - but the indicia says it's Vol. 16, No.  4. It confused me as a kid, and I'm not doing much better today.

     Despite being one of the older books in my collection, my copy is much more abused than the nice cover posted above (which I found online) - here's mine, which I picked up cheap at a convention somewhere.

   It was well worth whatever pittance I paid for it, even with only half a cover. The lead story is by the "Good Duck Artist," Carl Barks (or at least I'm pretty sure it's him). It's a classic "Donald tries to outwit his nephews" tale that's loaded with priceless gags. 

   There's also a Li'l Bad Wolf short, a Mickey and Goofy adventure and a story with Pluto, along with some one-page gags. All for a dime - what a deal!

   These were the stories that made for great comics, and launched more than a few of us onto a long life of reading and enjoying all kinds of comics!

   (But I'd still like to peek into the past and see which comic was first in line.)

Grade: A

------------------


No comments: