Thursday, December 19, 2019

"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" - Movie Review


   Most of us won't get to see Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker until late tonight, but my pal Mark Cannon, who lives halfway around the world, saw it last night and sends along his spoiler-free thoughts in this guest review. Thanks, Mark!


   Well, here we are at last.  The wrap-up - at least for now - to the core Star Wars saga.

   A Long Time Ago (about 42 years and one month) in a city Far, Far Away (Sydney, about 150 miles from where I now live), I first saw a little movie titled Star Wars.

   It had only recently opened in Australia but I’d read the advance media buzz months before, along with Marvel’s Roy Thomas / Howard Chaykin comic book adaptation. As a lifelong Science Fiction fan, I thought I’d like the film - but actually, I loved it.  It was every purple-prosed Space Opera I’d ever read mashed together, up on a big screen with then-State of the Art effects.  Afterwards, I wondered if they’d manage to make a sequel?

   Of course that little movie went on to became a multi-platform cultural phenomenon. Albeit one with a multitude of sub-fandoms, many happy to argue amongst themselves, often seemingly motivated by the injustice of the creators failing to read the minds of self-styled True Fans and refusing to deliver the film (or TV show, or game) that SHOULD be made. Whatever the hell that might be. Is it now even possible that any new film could satisfy everyone who loves the SW Universe?

   The short answer is “probably not”, regardless of how great that film might be. Nonetheless, as big films now effectively premiere simultaneously around the world - something that in 1977 would have seemed as improbable as a light sabre - I decided to catch an opening day screening and make up my mind for myself.

   Short answer after that rambling prelude - I enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker. A lot. I don’t know yet if I loved it, as that will take a fair bit of thought and reflection, and probably additional viewings, but my initial response was extremely positive.

   If you have enjoyed any of the Star Wars films, I think that there’s a lot in this movie to like. It supplies plenty of what you expect in one of these films - epic battles, both small and large scale; chases, captures, escapes, “Will they make it?” moments aplenty; and amazing planet-scapes, interstellar vistas and special effects. Heroic heroes and dastardly villains. It’s labelled “Star Wars,” and it does what it says on the tin.

   That may sound like I’m damning the film with faint praise; not so. All of those elements are delivered well, with thrills and spills aplenty. There were also a few scenes that completely surprised me, in a “I didn’t see that coming” or “I never expected to see that in Star Wars!” way.

   That’s not to say that the film is without shortcomings. In my view at least one character is very poorly served, being shunted off to the sidelines for most of the film. The questioning of some of the basic assumptions of the Star Wars Universe that formed an interesting element of The Last Jedi are also pretty much ignored this go-round. There’s also the long-standing franchise problem of poor internal plot logic and structure, with the heroes jumping from location to location, experiencing a seemingly endless succession of “This is our last chance!” moments, and a fair share of “with one mighty effort, our hero was free!” escapes. But hey, one of George Lucas’ original inspirations for both “Star Wars” and “Raiders of the Lost Ark” was classic movie serials, in which such elements are standard - at this point, you can’t really blame the latest film for being true to its roots.

   One aspect of the film that is likely to generate controversy is the use of Leia; or more specifically, footage of the late Carrie Fisher.  We already knew that she would appear, but I was surprised at how substantial a role her character played. Her footage was blended in effectively, but confess that I found it all a bit creepy. Which given that the films have frequently featured dead characters reappearing, though played by still-living actors, does seem a bit of a double standard on my part...

   Overall though, “The Rise of Skywalker” provides a quite satisfactory wrap-up of the current trilogy - and, if you like, the core nine films. Just about all of the major questions are answered.  What is Rey’s heritage? What’s the resolution of her and Kylo Ren’s relationship? Who or what is the real Big, BIG Bad who’s been behind everything all along? The matters that aren’t fully resolved are ones which, frankly, it’s more fun to leave open.

   So - should you watch the film? If you’re a “Star Wars” fan to any degree, by all means. Will you like it? Maybe, maybe not, but I hope you’ll give it a fair go. Above all, avoid reviews - good and bad - before seeing it. Except for this one, of course.

   A final personal note. A common theme running through all the nine main “Star Wars” films is heritage and legacy. I saw The Rise of Skywalker today with my younger son, Oliver. He’s 28 and I introduced him to the original films a year or so before went together to see The Phantom Menace. Afterwards we discussed whether it would be suitable viewing for his 7-year-old nephew, Cooper, who has become a keen “Star Wars” fan over the last couple of years. We decided he should be okay with it. The legacy continues.

   May the Force be with you. (A line that I honestly don’t remember hearing this time around!)

2 comments:

Mr. Brooks said...

I enjoyed it. The adventure continues.

Chuck said...

I did too! I thought it was a lot of fun, and did a good job wrapping up the series. It's not perfect - no movie is - but it's a cracking good adventure! Ignore the reviews - enjoy it for yourself!