Monday, August 26, 2019

Blade Runner 2019 #2


   I'm a fan of the original Blade Runner film (which I saw when it was originally released), but I have to admit that I still haven't seen the recent movie sequel (I do have it on my DVR - must get around to watching it soon).

   So I'm really not sure how the new comic book based on the series fits in - but I'm not sure it matters.

   That's because Blade Runner 2019 is a cracking good read on its own.

   It focuses on Detective (and Blade Runner) Aahna Ashina (they call her "Ash") as she goes in search of the now-missing wife and daughter of a wealthy man.

   The methods used by Ash are (shall we say) unconventional, and usually end up with someone getting shot (or at least shot at). The story by Michael Green and Mike Johnson manages a nice mix of action and suspense as we try to unravel the twisty plot threads.

   The art by Andres Guinaldo is excellent, crafting a great balance between the gritty world of 2019 (or this version thereof) and the futuristic world of the films.

   So far, I like this a lot - and the cliffhanger ending adds to the fun!

   Highly recommended!

Grade: A-

-------------------

1 comment:

El Vox said...

I thought Blade Runner 2049 was one of the better, if not the best film, of that year.