Monday, March 11, 2019

Doomsday Clock #9 (of 12)


   Reading Doomsday Clock continues to be... a challenge.

   That's because, while the stakes are high, it feels like fan fiction - which is to say, that nothing that happens really matters.

   The concept is compelling - that the Watchmen characters have moved over to the DC Universe and - especially in the case of the seemingly all-powerful Dr. Manhattan - are manipulating events for mysterious purposes.

   This issue features a major confrontation as virtually all of DC's heroes travel to Mars to track down the force that's been manipulating their reality - and as a result, the DC Universe is becoming darker all the time.

   So you have a comic with terrific art by Gary Frank, and a compelling story by Geoff Johns. When I pick up an issue, I read it as soon as possible.

   But I can't really say I'm enjoying it. It feels like a pale riff on the original Watchmen - like it's copying the style without managing the substance. And I'm not sure I like what it's doing to DC's Universe (but then, I've been feeling that since the whole "New 52" started).

   I'll keep reading, but I can't exactly recommend this series. 

Grade: B

-------------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good review!