Monday, December 10, 2018

Shazam #1


   (Your pal Chuck has been swamped this week, so today and tomorrow we'll have some mini-reviews to get back on schedule.)

   As a big fan of the original Captain Marvel (Fawcett version), I have to admit I'm struggling a bit with the new version of that hero, who goes by the name Shazam!

   I understand the reason for the change, and there are some elements about the new version of Billy Batson and his extended (adopted) family that I enjoy - but none of the super-powered kids are particularly likable, and I have no idea what their names are. 

   Will they all have name changes? It was bad enough the Captain Marvel Jr. couldn't say his own name - now Shazam can't speak his name, either!

   And how are they all sneaking out of the house like that?

   The art is great and they're building a new world here - but I still miss the Big Red Cheese.

   (To see how to do it right, check out Grant Morrison Multiversity comic.)

Grade: B

---------------


No comments: