Saturday, November 24, 2018

Happy 100th to Gasoline Alley!


    It was 100 years ago today (Nov. 24) that writer / artist / genius Frank King's comic strip, Gasoline Alley, first appeared.

    Originally a gag strip about some guys who talked about their cars, it didn't take long for King to make a vital change to the strip - one night an orphan is left at the door of confirmed bachelor Walt Wallet.

   The baby was named Skeezix, and from that point on, the strip advanced in real time (not only the first to do so, but one of the few to this day). So we watched Skeezix grow up, fight in World War II, get married, and have kids. 

   Walt also changed - he married, had kids, and grew older. Eventually, they had to give up the idea of aging in real time - Walt would be about 120 years old by now, so while he's elderly, he (and the older cast members) have been frozen.

   But none of that is what made the strip a classic. It was great storytelling, touching moments, heartfelt interactions, genuine humor and terrific artwork (especially the brilliant Sunday pages) - all started by King, and continued when the strip was turned over to his assistant, Bill Perry, then into the brilliant hands of Dick Moores, and continues to this day with Jim Scancarelli.

   The strip survives because it tells a wonderful, human story about life, love and family. An American classic!


2 comments:

Billy Hogan said...

I love reading these old comic strips, including Gasoline Alley. I was worried Alley Oop (my late grandmother's favorite strip) might end when the husband and wife team of the Benders retired, but it is getting a new team beginning in January. My favorite comic strips are the adventure strips The Phantom and Prince Valiant. One day I hope to be able to afford getting the reprint editions of these classic long running strips.

Kyle said...

Wow. I don't remember ever reading Gasoline Alley. It doesn't seem likely but it may not have been syndicated in my local newspaper growing up. It's possible I just passed it up or missed it, but I religiously read the Sunday comic pages every.. uh.. Sunday I guess. :) Sounds like I missed out!