Thursday, October 11, 2018

Infinity Wars #4 (of 6)


   I'm almost convinced that comics companies are trying to tell me that it's time to stop reading comics.

   For me, the story is the thing. (I agree with the old theatre adage, "If it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage.")

   In other words, I can tolerate poor artwork if the story is strong enough. But, as Infinity Wars shows, even terrific art cannot make a bad story entertaining.

   Artist Mike Deodato, Jr. (with color art by Frank Martin) is trying mightily to elevate this comic, and his art is stunning. He combines his amazing, realistic depictions of characters with stunning, otherworldly images, creating top-of-the-line art on this series.

   How sad, then, that the story makes almost no sense at all. Gamora has fused a number of heroes into Amalgam-ish "new" versions. Why? Please don't ask silly questions. (Which is to say, "I have no idea.") (I'm guessing it's to sell those spin-off titles.)

   The heroes are trapped in the Soul Gem, where they are finding all-new Infinity Stones (?) and fighting a huge, Cthulu-ish monster, while back in our reality, Gamora is... well, I can't say because I'm just not sure what she's doing or why.

   So it's lots of sturm and drang and I hope you're all following it better than I am. 

   It's all just interesting enough to keep me hanging around until the end - but after that I may take the hint and just stop reading these "Event Comics" once and for all.

Grade: B-

-------------------

No comments: