Thursday, October 25, 2018

Guest Review - Amazing Spider-Man #8


   Hey, it's time for a Guest Review! Stepping up to the mic today is my pal Bruce Rosenberger, who's been a comics fan almost as long as yours truly! Here's his review of the latest issue of the ol' web-swinger:


   I’m not sure what’s going on with this new iteration of The Amazing Spider-Man


   Last I saw he was the head of some big corporation making lots of money. That said, after reading The Amazing Spider-Man #8, I don’t really care. 

   First thing I see is a really nice cover, and then I notice the name Ramos listed there. Can I hope that Humberto Ramos is doing the art on the interior of the book, and not just the cover? YES! 


   Nick Spencer is the writer. While I know the name, I can’t say that I can place him, but judging by this issue, I’ll be looking out for his name in the future.

   I should explain at this point that I haven’t been reading many comics lately. I’d like to say that life has just gotten in the way, but reality is, I’ve just gotten lazy. No real excuse, just haven’t been doing much. 


   But over the last week or so, I’ve decided to get my butt into gear and start getting stuff done again. Reading a funny book a day may not seem like much of a goal, but it’s a start.

   So, I’m luck in that this issue is the start of a new storyline. The Thieve’s Guild is back, and their goal is to let people know that they’re back! Various Avengers are finding that they are suddenly missing very important things that help make their jobs easier. 


   Spider-man, whose alter-ego, Peter Parker, is looking for a job anyway, is called in to help. Of course, he may find that he too is missing some important tools.

   This issue is fun. The writing is fun, and when has Ramos’s artwork ever NOT been fun? (Can you tell I’m a big fan?) I will say for those who feel that Ramos may have gone too far at times (too cartoony) that he’s reeled it in a bit, so I think you’ll at least be okay with the art. 

   If I were going to rate it (and I am) I’d give it:


Grade: A

----------------------------

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Nice review Bruce! I've gotten into the same lazy habit. I don't read very many current comics, but we have an awesome used books store nearby that has great deals on old trades... So I'm trying to read at least one chapter of a TPB a day.