Monday, September 10, 2018

The First Decade of Reviews!


   It's a big day for us at Chuck's Comic of the Day! (And a time for some changes.)

   It's difficult to believe, but 10 years ago today this blog first appeared - the result of a crazy idea on my part.

   I wanted to start a comics review blog - but how to make it different? My first thought was to take a comedic approach and write it as though I hated everything - but I quickly realized I couldn't maintain that level of negativity, even as a joke. (And it wouldn't be fair to all those talented folks out there who work hard to create those comics.)

   So my next thought was to post a review every day. I figured I'd crank them out all at once one day a week, and post them daily over the next week.

   That didn't work out either (I do have a full-time job, after all) - so I typically write one (or two) a day and schedule them accordingly.

   What started as an offshoot of my hobby and a writing challenge has turned into a fun pastime - and a good test of my determination.

   I've had lots of help along the way (especially when I took a long holiday for a trip to Europe several years back), and many thanks to all our guest reviewers who have helped keep the flame burning over the years!

   I still enjoy the blog and it's rewarding to get comments from readers and see the impressive number of readers we get from all over the world (it's amazing to realize we have readers everywhere).

   I also want to send out thanks to all the comics companies who generously provide review copies! Hats off to Aspen, Valiant, Titan Comics, Black Mask, Action Lab Entertainment and all the other companies who support us. I wish I could review everything!

   So, let's talk about the road ahead. After 10 years, I think it is time to step away from the "a post a day or bust" mentality. I'll still be posting as often as possible - at the least, several times a week, and at the most, daily. But if I miss a day, I'm going to take a breath, let it pass and move on.

   So do I need to change the name of the blog? That would be very difficult, so instead I'm just going to use my best weasel words and say there will be a review here every day - but it may be the same review as yesterday.

   Many thanks to all of you who take the time to read this blog, and I hope you'll continue to check in so we can continue to celebrate the art and stories that make up this entertaining medium.

   Onward and upward!

   Comics forever!

8 comments:

Billy Hogan said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! I always enjoy reading your blog every day. You've been doing the blog about as long as I've been hosting a podcast, so I know how you have to fit it into the rest of your life. However many times you post a review during the week I'll be reading it.

El Vox said...

Congratulations on the milestone. I know blogging everyday and keeping ones blog going is quite and effort. You've done that amazingly well, and even if you just review ever so often that's totally understandable. You still have one of the best comic blogs that I know of. Good luck with whichever way you want to go with it.

Anonymous said...

Even God rested on the seventh day, so take all the breaks you need. Thrilled to hear you're not retiring from the blog, Chuck. I really appreciate ya and enjoy your reviews very, very much.

--Bret

Kevin Findley said...

A decade already? Wow! I hope the next ten years (should you choose to accept) are just as fun.

Kyle Johnson said...

Congratulations on the amazing anniversary Chuck! I enjoy your reviews and they have led to to try quite a few comics I would otherwise have missed. Thanks for all the great work!

Chuck said...

Thanks for the kind words, all - much appreciated!

Dwayne said...

Congratulations on the milestone. As for frequency, I don't read it every day, so I guess it doesn't matter if you write it every day. Ha ha! Seriously though, I appreciate the blog and love reading your thoughts on current comic books.

Chuck said...

Ha! Thanks, Dwayne!