Friday, March 30, 2018

Doomsday Clock #4 (of 12)

   I bought Watchmen when it was originally released.

   I loved it, poured over every issue. I marveled at its complexity, at the stories that explored previously-hidden corners of comics (and human psyche in general).

   I know Watchmen, and Doomsday Clock, you're no Watchmen.

   Which is not to say that this series is bad. It's certainly interesting, well-constructed and features amazing art by Gary Frank, who gives every frame a realistic grit and edge required in a story like this.

   But the story feels like a retread of what has gone before.

   One of the better issues of Watchmen focused on Rorschach? Here's one focusing on the new version of that character!

   But his story isn't really compelling, and there are massive holes in the plot.

   I admit I've been struggling to accept this deliberate merging of the DC Universe with the more hard-edged and unforgiving world of the Watchmen - and this issue didn't do anything to change my mind.

Grade: B

-------------------

 

No comments: