Friday, October 6, 2017

The Archies #1

   When I visited the comics shop this week, I didn't plan to pick up this issue.

   But when I walked up to the checkout, my comics shop owner held out the first issue of The Archies and said, "You wanted this one, right?"

    I was torn - I usually just buy the Archie title, but I do try to give new series a shot.

   I asked, "Did you order it just for me?" He replied, "Yes - didn't you ask me to get a copy for you?"

    I had to think about that one. Had I requested one? I was pretty sure I hadn't - but I know fate when I see it, so I bought it.

    And the issue is... ok. Not great, but ok.

   It follows the newly-created band that includes Archie, Betty, Veronica, Jughead and - surprisingly enough - Reggie. But like any band that ever was, there are problems - agreeing on songs, getting to rehearsal, and what to do when they start enjoying some success.

   It's a solid effort, with a good script and fun, vivacious artwork - but it's not an easy fit, placing these characters into a band and making it work.

   And will they ever play their biggest hit in the real world: "Sugar, Sugar?"

   Future issues will tell the tale!

Grade: B

------------------

No comments: