Sunday, October 16, 2016

Warhammer 40,000: Will of Iron #1 (of 4)

   I know almost nothing about Warhammer 40,000.

   Here's what I know: it's a really popular game, it's science fiction-based, and the visuals are stunning.

   I probably wouldn't know anything about it if not for a young man I interviewed many years ago who was a salesman for the company that marketed the game, and he had a case filled with amazing figures (statues?) from the series that were exquisitely painted and loaded with amazing detail.

   So like I said: I know nothing.

   So I approach this series (subtitled Will of Iron) as a blank slate - and while I obviously have a steep learning curve ahead of me, I have to admit I enjoyed this issue.

   As near as I can tell, the story follows a conflict between at least three different factions fighting over a newly-revealed planet.

   The attack gives new meaning to "shock and awe," as they launch giant machines that crash to the planet's surface, covered in flames. There they spit out armored legions that attack the strange animal-like creatures that live there.

   Why is all this happening? Well, I haven't sorted that out yet - but the visuals are stunning and I trust that the reasons behind the conflict will become more clear as the story rolls along.

   The art by Tazio Bettin is terrific - powerful and detailed, with impressive alien vistas and character designs.

   The story by George Mann covers a lot of ground and throws quite a bit of info at the reader, but keeps things relatively clear for those new, clueless readers.

   Like me.

Grade: A-

--------------------

 

No comments: