Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #1

   Here's a comic that could be sold by the title alone: Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye.


 But I didn't buy it for the title - I picked it up because Cave Carson was the star of the first "hero" comic I remember reading (a story I told in this post).


   Cave's adventures were limited back in the '60s, but just seeing the title of this new series jabbed me right in my nostalgia zone (and that tickles, I can tell you).


   This issue is set under the Young Animal imprint DC has started under Gerard Way's guidance, and so far, so good.


    This is an odd issue, with moments of "normal DC" events (as Cave checks in with the company that uses his "Mighty Mole Machine" technology to seek out rare elements) - and then there are the "weird DC" events, as we discover Cave's malfunctioning eye, and he's confronted by a strange figure from his past.


   There's a tragic element throughout, as Cave learns to deal with loss and tries to connect with his grown daughter.


   There are also a couple of terrific cameos that will delight long-time readers.


   It's all strange and odd and not much at all like that first adventure in 1960 - but it's also mysterious and fascinating and I'm totally hooked.


   Can't wait for the next issue!


Grade: A-


---------------------------
  

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agree 100%!