Saturday, May 14, 2016

Remembering Darwyn Cooke


   Comic fans everywhere were rocked today by the news of Darwyn Cooke's passing.

   It's a terrible shock, given that Cooke was only 54 years old - and only the day before it was revealed that he had been fighting cancer.

   Cooke was a rare artist who had a unique style all his own - one that evoked the joy and energy of the Silver Age of comics. His style seemed to contain some on the minimalism of Alex Toth, the raw energy of Jack Kirby, and a dynamic style of Steve Rude - all rolled into a distinctive and fresh package.

   His work in comics is not vast, but it's certainly important - he redrafted Catwoman into her modern look, he revitalized the Wild West in Jonah Hex, he gave the entire industry a much-needed shot of optimism with his reimagining of the Silver Age in DC's New Frontier, and he gave his own steely edge to hardboiled fiction with his adaptation of the Parker stories.

   He also crafted a number of covers - mostly for DC - that will hopefully one day be collected for fans to read and enjoy.

   In a just world, he would have had decades more to tell his stories and share his vision - but we can take some comfort that he leaves behind so much great work that we can enjoy - and treasure.

5 comments:

Kevin Findley said...

A man who could draw Batman as a frightening monster in one issue and then a perfect, surrogate father to a laughing daredevil in the next. His Superman was powerful yet human and his Wonder Woman was a zaftig demi-goddess that both heroes respected and I don't think ANYONE ever complained about.

RIP

Anonymous said...

Well written and accurate!

Dwayne said...

Cooke was far and away my favorite current comics creator for just the reasons you mentioned. His style, both artistic and storytelling were tied to the silver age.
I fell in love with his work on the New Frontier, and immediately went back to collect everything he had done. One favorite that doesn't get mentioned much is Selinas Big Score. It's a perfect heist tale.
His latest work, Twilight Children seemed like it ended a bit abruptly after just 4 issues, and I now wonder if it was due to health reasons.
In any case, his passing leaves a tremendous hole in this fan's heart.

Kyle said...

Excellent post Chuck, great comments as well... I think I first time I came across his work was on New Frontier... the Losers on Dinosaur Island? Holy Cow, I was hooked. I did go out and pick up Parker: The Hunter this weekend... How did I not know Richard Stark is a pseudonym for Donald Westlake. I am a big Dortmunder fan, so can't wait to read this.

Kyle said...

Excellent post Chuck, great comments as well... I think I first time I came across his work was on New Frontier... the Losers on Dinosaur Island? Holy Cow, I was hooked. I did go out and pick up Parker: The Hunter this weekend... How did I not know Richard Stark is a pseudonym for Donald Westlake. I am a big Dortmunder fan, so can't wait to read this.