Monday, August 12, 2013

Earth 2 #15

For more than a year now I've been buying Earth 2 out of a sense of hope.

I've been hoping that the writer named James Robinson would return to his earlier, Starman-worthy heights. Sadly, it hasn't happened.

I've been hoping that the Justice Society of America would reform. Nope.

I've been hoping that the new version of the Golden Age heroes would hold a spark of the original characters. Not even close.

I've been hoping the stories would be interesting. This issue focuses on a war between the forces of Steppenwolf and an assortment of heroes who seem intent on fighting each other, instead of their enemies. So it's difficult to buy into the conflict.

There are side stories with Hawkgirl and Mr. Miracle, but they don't really go anywhere.

The only part of the series that has left me with hope is the artwork by Nicola Scott (with Trevor Scott inking). Her style is dynamic, with great character designs and strong layouts.

But that alone doesn't make this series worth buying. I'm going to try to hold on to the end of the war storyline, but that's going to be it for me.

As a fan of "Earth 2" since it was created in the '60s, I was hoping for a series I could love. With a heavy heart, I can't recommend this comic.

Grade: C+

--------------

No comments: