Monday, July 22, 2013

Mail Call

Here's an interesting email we received the other day (as always, you can send any comments along by the link at the bottom of each post, or email us at Chuckscomicoftheday@gmail.com).

This email is from Erik:
As a cover collector, and not so much of a comic reader, I know this question doesn't really apply to just the cover art, but, would you say that the comics in your blog that have multiple blog entries are the better comics to collect?

I am looking for comics (Like Saga 1,2 & 3) that may go up in value over the next 5-20 years. I know it's hard to guess, but I would imagine the comics that have only one review from you are probably not the best to collect since you didn't continue to review additional comics, right?

I also read your blog about Wonderland, which is logical to assume that most of the books probably are the same scantily clad women in a non-backstory storylines. From my experience seaching online, I know that the more nudity on a (girl) cover, the more people tend to spend to buy that comic. However, I am not just a good girl/bad girl comic collector. I have many Superman, Spider-man, Spider-girl, Supergirl, Justice League, and a spattering of other, bigger name, comic character books in my collection.

To end this rant, I guess my two questions are:

1. What would you say are the more valuable comics to collect?
2. Are you able to tell me the top-rated comics in your blog without me having to click each item, or would that be difficult?

Don't go out of your way to do back research for me, I was just wondering where my focus should be. I buy mainly on eBay, new editions, backed and boarded.

Thanks Chuck.

P.S. I'm going to try to follow your blog each day now if I can.

Thanks for the email, Erik. I'm not the best one to provide advice about the value of comics - I just buy the ones I want to read. I never really got much into the speculation end of the hobby, although several friends have dabbled in it.

For that reason, I wouldn't judge what comics will increase in value just by the reviews on this blog. I tend to review the comics I'm interested in, not ones that are necessarily the most collectible.

If there's a secret to picking what comics will increase the most in value, I'm not sure what it is. It's a bit of a gamble to try to find a winner, like, say, Walking Dead. (I wish I'd bought 10 copies of that first issue.)

Your best bet is to watch for the issues that become fan favorites - especially ones published by the smaller companies. Smaller print runs means the issue is more collectible - if it catches on and becomes popular. If it doesn't, then the comic probably won't be worth much.

Saga seems like a good bet to keep growing in popularity, but I'm not sure I can point to any others off the top of my head. Just not my areas of expertise, I'm afraid.

And you're right, there are plenty of companies that have strong sales with covers featuring good girl or bad girl art - but with the market flooded with such comics, I'm not sure what the long-term value of them will be.

As for your second question, I don't index my comics by ranking, except at the end of the year, when i run my "Top 10" list (with honorable mentions) - the comics on that list all received an "A" or "A+" score (with a few "A-" grades in there).

Hope that helps, and thanks for the kind words!

No comments: