Sunday, June 16, 2013

The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys #1

In my 50-plus years of reading comics, I'm seen lots of strange comics - but The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys may be the winner (at least among mainstream comics).

How weird was it?

(I hate to admit this.)

I had to read it twice to sort out what was going on - and I'm still not sure I'm following it (though I assume that's the point).

I knew it was going to be different, since it's written by Gerard Way (who created the excellent Umbrella Academy) and Shaun Simon, but it's really out there.

It's set in a strange future / alternate reality where "normal" citizens struggle for survival. The danger is in the form of Draculoids - strange zombie-like creatures that wear grotesque white masks and prey on normal humans.

Opposing them are humans armed with advanced weapons, wearing masks in honor of the original team known as the Killjoys, who gave their lives to save a girl who is thought to be a messiah. She's the key character in this story of violence and the fight for survival.

The art by Becky Cloonan in very good - kinetic, but with a "real world" look that keeps the strange tale grounded. Her characters feel lifelike, even when they're dressed in strange costumes or fighting for their lives.

I have to admit, I liked this comic, even if I'm hard-pressed to say why. You get the sense that there's a lot going on under the surface here, and it's worth sticking around to see the mysteries unravel.

For now, and with some trepidation, I recommend this comic.

Grade: A-

---------------------

No comments: