Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Batgirl #3

Come on, DC, throw me a bone here.

I really want to like this title, I want to support it. I like Barbara Gordon as Batgirl, I'm glad she's back in costume again - but you have to give me something to work with here. (Besides the great covers by Adam Hughes.)

Three issues into this series, and all we've seen is Batgirl failing, being defeated, being outsmarted, being unlucky at love, and being forced to live in substandard housing (yet able to maintain a souped-up motorcycle and superhero gear).

I was hoping things would turn about with this issue - but no. Instead we get a race against death, and half the issue turned over to a guest appearance by Nightwing, in which he and Batgirl seem unable to decide if they like each other or would prefer to fight (and remember, while they're fooling around, a murderer is still running around on the loose).

Writer Gail Simone provides some nice bits of dialogue that feel real, and Ardian Syaf provides some strong artwork - but the story is left behind on the way.

I'm struggling to stay with this series through the opening story arc. Here's hoping for a strong finish, because otherwise - sadly - I'll be dropping this one.

Grade: C+

----------------

No comments: