Monday, March 14, 2011

Captain Action Winter Special #1

As I've mentioned before, I was a big fan of the original Captain Action comic book published by DC, and I'm glad to see that character back at work in new adventures from Moonstone.

His latest appearance was in this week's Captain Action Winter Special (just in time, considering the warm weather this week). I was looking forward to picking it up - but my shop sold out before I could get there. I have seen a pdf of part of the comic, however, so I'll limit my comments to that.

The good news is, it's the best Captain Action story I've read since those original '60s comics. It's a short tale by writer Beau Smith and artist Eduardo Barreto, and it's a lot of fun.

It's a short tale that could just as easily star James Bond, as the Captain gets involved in a cold war-era adventure that features spies, long-hidden artifacts and a Yeti.

This is exactly the kind of hard-hitting story I'm looking for in a "throwback" hero like this - lots of humor, cliffhangers (literally) and bare-knuckles action.

I can't give the whole special a grade until I track down a copy - but it's worth picking up for this story alone, which gets an "A."

This is the kind of series you want a Beau Smith or a Chuck Dixon writing - they have the knack for this sort of "Roughneck / Real Man" adventure.

Thank goodness!

---------------

No comments: