Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Kull: The Hate Witch #3 (of 4)

While I'm usually a fan of all things related to pulp writer Robert E. Howard, I have to admit that this mini-series starring Kull just hasn't captured the feel of the character for me.

The Hate Witch finds Kull traveling to his homeland on Atlantis to track down the (literal) witch who cursed him when he was a child and has returned to threaten his kingdom.

The residents there are apparently a savage lot, and there are misunderstandings and deadly battles aplenty. But the issue seems to get bogged down in side-events and doesn't really advance the story much at all.

The art by Gabriel Guzman and Mariano Taibo is solid - sometimes inspired, sometimes uneven - but professional throughout.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to see Kull back in action - but this series just feels like a generic barbarian adventure.

Hopefully the next issue will find things back on track.

Grade: C+

---------------

No comments: