Friday, July 30, 2010

Secret Avengers #3

A month ago I wrote some harsh words about the Secret Avengers.

Now that the third issue is here, and I realize I should have had more faith in writer Ed Brubaker.

With just a few revelations in this issue, he eliminates my concerns about the Roxxon construction site on the planet Mars and manages a sly homage to Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars at the same time. Impressive!

This issue is all about shedding some light, as we get a look at the secret organization looking for an incredibly ancient artifact on Mars, and the reason why our heroes must stop the efforts of this ancient evil.

The problem is, they seem to be completely outmatched by Nova, who's been possessed by the Serpent Crown and whose powers have been amped up considerably.

Mike Deodato's art is back to its usual heights, perhaps because it's an action-intensive issue. I especially enjoyed the western flashback at the beginning of the book, and he also gets to depict some cosmic-level events.

For the first two issues I had my doubts about this comic, but after reading this comic, those concerns are (mostly) gone.

Sorry for doubting you, Ed.

Grade: A-

No comments: