Monday, May 10, 2010

Hellboy in Mexico (One-shot)

As much as I enjoyed professional wrestling in my younger days (and I still look in on it occasionally), I've never seen any of the legendary wrestling films from Mexico - which is a terrible oversight, because I'm certain I'd enjoy them. One of these days...

I suspect you can get a pretty good taste of what those movies are about in this one-and-done issue of Hellboy.

It recounts a story about that character's battles with the forces of evil in the 1950s. While on a mission in Mexico, he teams up with a trio of masked wrestlers as they battle an army of assorted demons, monsters and the undead.

It's a mostly lighthearted outing for Hellboy, though there is (of course) a tragic undertone.

But it's a brilliant touch for writer (and Hellboy creator) Mike Mignola to cook up an issue on this topic, since it was released on May 5 (or as we like to call it, Cinco de Mayo).

It doesn't hurt that the art is by the legendary Rich Corben. The characters just leap off the page, the settings are lush, the action intense - amazing work here. If Mignola can't do the art, I'll gladly "settle" for a master like Corben.

This issue is lots of fun and highly recommended. Now to see if NetFlix carries any Santo movies...

Grade: A

No comments: