Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Jughead #200

I can relate to Jughead. (That's kind of sad when you say it out loud like that, isn't it?)

Thinking back to the long-ago days when I was in high school, I must admit that I was more like him than either Archie or Reggie (the other two male members of The Archies).

I certainly wasn't popular with the girls (in fact, I was terribly shy around 'em), so I couldn't be Archie - though my hair was red at the time. I wasn't a jerk (at least I don't think I was), so no to Reggie.

But I was skinny and I could eat all day thanks to my highly-charged metabolism - so that puts me in Jughead territory. (Sadly, both attributes abandoned me long ago - but I did manage to land the right girl, so it was a good trade).

In this anniversary issue, Jughead makes a devilish deal and must face what happens when he gives up his most precious attribute. It's a lighthearted and fun story (if a bit silly), with quite a few laughs along the way - and the solution to the problem is quite clever.

Writer Tom Root and artists Rex Lindsey and Jim Amash turn in a solid story here, celebrating the best of Jughead and his friends.

It's been a long time since I was a skinny teenager, but luckily the Archie gang has no such worries - they're just as youthful as ever!

What can I say? The jealousy... it burns!

Grade: B+

No comments: