Friday, February 26, 2010

The Flash: Rebirth #6 (of 6)

I really had high hopes for this series.

The first three issues of The Flash: Rebirth were pretty solid (though not exceptional), but it was the fourth issue that really hit it out of the park for me. In fact, I liked it so much that I named it my Favorite Comic of 2009.

Sadly, like the fifth issue, this one doesn't live up to the promise of issue four.

The last two issues have been mostly about clearing up loose ends and dealing with the villain of the piece, the Reverse-Flash.

Perhaps my hopes were just too high. This issue isn't bad, it just isn't outstanding. It's almost entirely devoted to wrapping up loose ends and setting up the upcoming regular series starring the (Barry Allen) Flash.

But so many emotional moments just fall flat, and even the art doesn't seem quite up to Ethan Van Sciver's usual high standards (although the first half-dozen pages are outstanding).

I'm tempted to place the blame on editorial interference rather than Geoff Johns' story, but the fact is, the series peaked with issue four and then coasted downhill to the end of this issue.

I do think part of the problem can be tagged onto several long delays between issues. (The final word balloon in this issue does take a playful jab at that.) For example, the good guys use a device in this story that I had completely forgotten about, even though it was a central part of an earlier issue.

Still, the stage is set and I anxiously await the new Flash comic that starts up soon. I've been looking forward to Barry's return for a heck of a long time, and I'm glad that the wait is over.

Overall, I enjoyed this series, even though it had some pitchy moments in there. So, two grades:

Overall series: A-
This issue: B-

No comments: