Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Brave and the Bold #30

This is a comic that fell off my regular purchase list, but I'll still pick up if there is a character involved I'm particularly interested in.

For example, I picked up the recent issue that featured Robbie Reed, the star of Dial "H" for Hero. This one I picked up for both stars - Green Lantern and Dr. Fate.

So why do we like the characters we like?

Green Lantern I've been a fan of since I started reading comics sometime around 1960. The cool costume, the most awesome weapon in the world, he was a test pilot in "real life," he had intergalactic adventures, incredible art by Gil Kane - what's not to like?

Dr. Fate is a little more difficult to explain, since in the '60s he only appeared during the annual Justice League - Justice Society crossovers, and in a couple of team-up appearances with Hourman.

So why did I like him? It was probably a combination of his awesome costume design - love the gold helmet that covered his face - and the lightning bolts that shot from his fingers as he cast spells. But he never had much character besides being a hero, so there wasn't much to latch onto - but I always liked him. Some characters just click, and others don't - who knows why?

I'm happy to see that this issue is actually a flashback to the days when Kent Nelson was Dr. Fate. He has a brief encounter with Green (Hal Jordan) Lantern and it leads to a follow-up discussion years later in an alien land.

It's an interesting issue with a clever discussion between the two characters about their basic natures, but it may be a little too thin for the fans who don't have a connection with these characters.

The story is by J. Michael Straczynski and the art (which is quite good) is by Jesus Saiz.

I enjoyed it, and fans of these characters will probably enjoy it - but your mileage may vary.

Grade: B+

No comments: