Friday, August 14, 2009

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1

Now that the ugly business that was Ultimatum is behind us, the Ultimate Universe has been reconfigured into the Ultimate Comics Universe, and the first two releases popped up this week.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man picks up six months later, and hoo boy, have things changed for Peter Parker, and I'm not just talking about the clumsy new title for the comic.

Of course, I can't really talk about the changes without giving away some of the juicier parts of the story - but the good news is, it all works, and has that same feeling of fun, adventure and discovery that was the hallmark for the original Ultimate Spidey series.

Brian Bendis continues as the writer for the book, and that's good news. He has a lot of great comics to his credit, but not many better than his work on this title. It's just a shame he can't write Amazing Spider-Man, too.

The art is in the hands of David Lafuente, one of the brighter up-and-coming artists in comics today. His work just bubbles with energy and enthusiasm - a perfect fit for this comic.

This first issue sets up several plots and mysteries for future exploration, and apparently we're going to see more super-powered supporting characters, including some from other super-teams.

I was genuinely afraid they were going to toss out this comic with the rest of the Ultimate Universe. How nice to be wrong!

Grade: A-

2 comments:

Cephas said...

I enjoyed the old series, Ultimate Spider-Man, though I dropped it after the first few years because I wasn't a huge fan of Bagley's art, as I've mentioned before. But I can't stand this art and clearly this book is going after a much younger audience than I am. So though I picked this issue up, that's it for me thank yew very much.

I notice they keep calling this Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, which makes no sense to me, but that's the title in the indicia. However, the nameplate just says Ultimate Spider-Man. So what do we call this thing?

I was just so underwhelmed by this issue and the art is just not my cuppa. But thanks anyway.

Chuck said...

Pete, I agree that the "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man" title is just dopey (why not just make it Vol. 2?). And I can understand why you don't like the art - it is a bit on the cartoonish side, although I like it a lot - it has a nice energy to it that I enjoy. But hey, different strokes/ different folks and all that stuff.