Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Hellboy: The Wild Hunt #5 (of 8)

After a bit of a delay, it's good to see this mini-series back on track.

But gaps in publishing are the best argument for waiting for the collected trade edition. As much as I enjoy this comic, which always brings a smile (even with its horror setting), I have to admit I'm having trouble remembering the story so far.

But maybe it's not necessary to remember - this issue really tells you everything you need to know. Hellboy's friend is dying, and the only chance to save her is to get her to a nearby castle - which just happens to be surrounded by flames and guarded by an invincible opponent.

Add to that a deadly foe plotting against everyone's favorite monster, a surprising guest appearance and lots of action, and you have yet another outstanding issue to enjoy.

The comic also features as six-page MonsterMen backup drawn by the excellent Gary Gianni, who apparently squeezed in some more excellent artwork in between his regular gig drawing Prince Valiant every Sunday.

Whether you wait for the trades or pick up the floppies, you'll rarely go wrong with Hellboy. I can honestly say I've never read an issue about Mike Mignola's creation that I didn't enjoy - and I've read 'em all.

Grade: B+

No comments: