Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sherlock Holmes #2

It's a real delight to read a comic that adjusts its style to stay true to its parent material.

When you're dealing with an iconic character like Sherlock Holmes, too many creators would be inclined to put their own stamp or style on the story, to the detriment of the character.

But there's no effort here to speed up the pace, throw in outlandish page layouts or otherwise muck around with Holmes and his supporting cast.

Instead we get an intelligent, methodical and interesting mystery spooling out before our eyes. The art by Aaron Campbell captures the era well in the appearance of the characters, their costumes and the setting. Solid work here.

And writer Leah Moore and John Reppion do a fine job of taking us to Holmes' era. My only complaint about this issue is that we see all too little of Holmes, since he's inconveniently locked in prison after apparently committing murder.

If you're looking for fast-paced action, then you're definitely looking at the wrong book. But if you're looking for an intelligent story told well, you could do a lot worse.

Grade: B+

1 comment:

Cephas said...

I was on the bubble on this after the first issue left me underwhelmed, but I have to say I agree with you on this one. The art and story worked very well this time, and I'll probably keep this one on my to-buy list.