Monday, October 6, 2014

Gotham Academy #1

   Well, I wasn't sure what to expect from the new series Gotham Academy - and after reading it, I'm still not sure.

   I assume this series is aimed at young females, and if so, kudos to DC for reaching out to an audience that has, shamefully, been virtually ignored for years by the major comics companies.

   It follows a couple of girls - silver-haired Olive and young Maps - who are enrolled at the huge school (the kind of sprawling structure you might find in a video game).

   It's based in Gotham City, of course, and they must cope with rude classmates, frightening teachers and the dangers they find while exploring the forbidden sections of the ancient school.

   Of course, there's an apparent connection to Batman and Bruce Wayne - but at this point, I'm not sure what it is (more thorough Bat-fans will probably pick up on it more quickly than yours truly).

   But for a first issue, it doesn't really give us a lot to go on - we barely meet the main characters, and the supporting cast just gets a quick check-in.

   There's a lot of potential here, and I hope it finds its audience, but I have to admit, this isn't a series aimed at a geezer like me.

   But if it brings more female readers into the business, I'm all for it.

Grade: B

---------------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad I wasn't the only one that was a little lost on the Batman/Olive connection. I'll give it a few more issues since the artwork is so stunning.

--Bret