Sunday, December 7, 2014

Gotham Academy #3

   As mentioned in previous reviews, I'm not sure what to make of this series.

   Gotham Academy is a series that seems to be aimed at female readers, and that's great - but it also seems like a mystery / juvenile adventure series that should appeal to any reader.

   But here we are, three months into the series and we still don't know much about the lead characters (Olive Silverlock and her clever friend Maps) or, frankly, what kind of story we're dealing with here.

   Is it supernatural? Superhero? Scooby-Doo mystery? I admit I'm not sure, and my patience is wearing thin.

   I think the series has great potential - certainly the art by Karl Kerschi is original and a lot of fun - but the story by Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher needs to give us a reason to hang around.

   A little mystery is a great thing, but this series is nothing but mystery. We need a little more to go on.

   Of course, the fact is, this series is aimed at younger readers, and they're probably loving it.

   But for this geezer, I need a little help to keep me rolling back for more.

Grade: B

---------------------

No comments: