Friday, September 12, 2014

Superman Unchained #8

   In my review of the last issue of this series, I predicted that Superman Unchained would wrap up early in 2015, but this issue only took two months to show up (as opposed to four months between the previous issues), so I may be wrong.

   With one issue left, they might just squeeze it in before the end of the year.

   But this is a series that will, I presume, read much better as a collection. I say this because, thanks to the gaps between issues, I can't remember the running subplots here.

   The focus in this issue is on the long-awaited knock-down, drag-out fight between Superman and the even more powerful alien Wraith.

   It gives artist Jim Lee lots of opportunities for some great action sequences as the battle ranges from the desert to outer space and the bottom of the ocean. And it's nice to see Superman using his intelligence to win a fight, rather than just slugging it out.

   As for the rest of the story, I have to admit I don't remember much about it. Something to do with Lois and Jimmy and Lex Luthor and something called the Earthstone. And apparently the Earth is facing another alien invasion of some kind.

   But it's a bad sign when I really don't remember enough about the story to care. A strong fight sequence, though, and nice to see it didn't end up with Metropolis in ruins, like a certain big-budget movie I could name.

Grade: B+

-------------------------

No comments: