Monday, August 5, 2013

X-Men #3

There's a lot to like about the new X-Men series.

I like the lineup, which focuses most of the powerful female mutants, including Storm, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Pixie, Rachel Summers, Psylocke and a few I don't really know.

I love the artwork by Olivier Coipel and Mark Morales, with terrific character designs and wonderful layouts.

I like the characterizations by writer Brian Wood - each character speaks with a distinctive voice, and I like the "new" take on Jubilee as a Mom.

The only thing I don't much care for is the villain of the piece, which is the old "alien organism invades and takes over a bunch of people and seemingly can't be stopped until it is."

It's just a well-worn concept and, to be honest, the wrap-up here doesn't really make much sense.

However, the stage is set and this "new" team is settling into place, so hopefully the creative team will hang in there and keep improving on this promising (if imperfect) start.

Grade: B

-------------

No comments: