Monday, September 24, 2012

Sword of Sorcery #1

At the risk of losing my manly credit, I have to admit that I was a fan of the original Amethyst comics.

It was an interesting combination of children's story and sword and sorcery adventure, all illustrated by the terrific Ernie Colon.

DC has (somewhat surprisingly) revived the character in Sword of Sorcery, along with a backup feature starring a new version of Beowulf.

The opening story by Christy Marx doesn't give us a lot to work with - a mysterious teen whose only parent, her mother, keeps moving them around the country. A mystic land ruled over by a powerful, evil woman. A surprising journey to another world. And that's about it.

But it is a promising start!

The art by Aaron Lopresti is quite good - expressive, energetic with a classic, illustrative feel to it.

It's still way too early to judge this series, but it seems a fair attempt at modernizing the original series, and it's good enough to bring me back for the next issue.

Just don't tell the guys.

Grade: B+

-----------------

1 comment:

-> Ray said...

I have a complete collection of Amethyst... which I bought when the last 4-issue miniseries tied her story in with the Legion of Super-Heroes. I turned out to be a good read, and even better without the LSH tie-in.