Thursday, December 1, 2011

Uncanny X-Men #2

So far I find I'm not enjoying the new version of the Uncanny X-Men ("new" in that they rebooted the numbering with a new #1).

That's because the first menace the new team faces is way over the top. Mr. Sinister (a villain I admit I never cared for) has turned up, somehow taken control of the Sleeping Celestial in San Francisco, and created innumerable clones of himself.

We start this issue with the X-Men casually killing those clones as they try to attack Sinister. The story somehow manages to combine the silly with a huge cosmic threat, and ends up just feeling empty.

The artwork is by committee, with three pencilers, four inkers and four colorists. It's not bad, but it all feels flat and rushed.

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to drop this book, but there's nothing here that indicates it's a "must buy" comic. I hope to hang on to the end of the storyline, but even that's not a sure thing.

It's a shame - the X-Men have been a favorite for a long time - but the line has been expanded and expanded into an army of titles and characters beyond counting.

That makes it difficult to care about any of them, and it's almost impossible to follow all the books, even if I wanted to. It feels like a balloon that's about to pop.

Grade: C+

-----------------

No comments: