Monday, November 1, 2010

Wonder Woman #604

If this "All-New" version of Wonder Woman was designed to make the character more accessible to new readers, I have to say - it ain't working.

The problems with the original version of the character are numerous: she's from a war-like society composed of women only, she's sent to America to bring a message of peace, and she spends her time beating the whey out of evildoers. She's a warrior, she's an ambassador, she's a super-hero, her powers are based in myth... you get the idea. It's like a crazy quilt.

So now we have the new version, courtesy of writer J. Michael Straczynski. She doesn't remember her past, but she's an warrior whose Amazonian sisters were (mostly) killed, but pockets of them are in hiding and it's her job to protect them but she doesn't seem to have her powers except when she does. She fights soldiers whose mission is a mystery, and they're led by some naked guy who carries the magic lasso.

Seems just as confusing as ever to me.

So this issue features the showdown between Diana and naked lasso guy, in which we get a few hints about the reasons behind his war on the Amazons - but mostly it's just a tease, and we know almost nothing new by the end of the story.

The art I like a lot. Don Kramer and Eduardo Pansica have some outstanding action sequences in here, and the issue is wall-to-wall battle scenes.

But overall, I'm still not sold on this new storyline. My patience for the solution to the mysteries is running thin, and I'm not sure I'll be back for the next issue.

I do think the Wonder Woman character has great potential, but I don't think this story is getting us there. Sorry.

Grade: B-

-------------------

No comments: