Sunday, August 9, 2020

Fire Power #1 and #2


 

    I almost missed this one!

   My friend Pete mentioned this new series, Fire Power, drawn by the amazing Chris Samnee and written by Robert Kirkman, so I started searching.

   The concept first appeared last month as a standalone graphic novel (highly recommended) that follows Owen, a young man trying to solve the mystery behind his parents.

    That leads him to a secret enclave where he learns martial arts (including an ability no one has demonstrated in decades), makes new friends, new enemies, and finds himself in the middle of a helluva fight.

   The regular series (issue #1) picks up 15 years later, as Owen has settled down into a comfortable family life, with his awesome wife (a police officer), two teenage kids, and a crowd of friends and relatives.

   The first issue is almost bucolic, as the family seems to lead a normal life - but then his old life comes calling.

   The second issue is a classic - almost wordless as Owen fights to protect his family and to keep his former life from intruding on what he's built.

   Do I need to tell you the art is amazing? Samnee is a master of mood and style - every page just sings!

   Kirkman shows his craftsmanship here as well - he knows when to intrude with crisp dialogue or an informative aside - and he knows when to get out of the way. Terrific work!

    I'm so glad I didn't miss this - it's a real treat, one of the best books out there!

   Thanks, Pete!


Grade: A

---------------




2 comments:

Disneymarvel said...

Thanks so much for recommending this one. I was pleasantly surprised that my library had volume one of the trade. I started reading it and couldn't put it down! Great book!

Cephas said...

You’re welcome!