Friday, February 7, 2020

Young Justice #13


    I have to admit that I rarely care about alternate covers.

    It's become a standard thing in new comics - almost every title is also printed with an alternate cover. 

   I'm not sure if the idea is to generate sales or make new collectibles, but typically I just take whichever cover is the handiest.

   But then, in the previous issue of Young Justice, Superboy found himself transported to the land Skartaris, the mysterious home (at the center of the Earth) of the man called The Warlord.

    As a huge fan of that series, I was quick to buy the alternate cover for this issue drawn by Mike Grell, the writer / artist who created that series in the '70s.

    What a delight to find that the interior includes pages drawn by that master, along with several other artists (including Brian Michael Bendis' longtime ally, Michael Avon Oeming). 

   It's a terrific, crazy-quilt issue that has a lot of fun with its over-the-top concepts and adds in a surprisingly big cast.

   Highly recommended! (And needless to say, I'd love to see Grell return with a new series or mini-series dedicated to his most famous DC creation!)

Grade: A

----------------

2 comments:

El Vox said...

Does the symbol of the big U have significance on the cover?

Chuck said...

Not that I'm aware of. I thought Grell was just going for a "stained glass" look.