Monday, January 27, 2020

The Batman's Grave #4 (of 12)


   How did I miss this one?

   Two weeks ago at the comics shop I glanced at an issue of The Batman's Grave, a limited series from DC that I wasn't buying. (In my defense, there are lots of comics featuring the Dark Knight).

   Here was a comic written by Warren Ellis and drawn by Bryan Hitch, two creators whose work I always buy. How did I not know about this?

   So my comic shop gathered up the issues I'd missed and I read them in short order. 

   What a treat! Amazing artwork by the master of "widescreen" adventure (perhaps calling it the comics equivalent of Blu-Ray would be more accurate), and a smart script and dialogue by a great writer (who's also a comics veteran).

   The story is largely self-contained as we see the sometimes-snarky and contentious relationship between Bruce and Alfred, and we get some insight into the unique methods Batman uses to solve crimes and confront criminals. 

    There are massive action sequences and (gasp) actual moments of humor!

    An absolute treat from start to finish - this series is highly recommended!

Grade: A

----------------   

No comments: