Saturday, January 18, 2020

Crisis on Infinite Earths Giant #1


   Ah, you got me, DC, with the old bait-and-switch (wherein the buyer thinks he is buying one thing, only to find he has bought something else, usually something of lesser value).

   I picked up this Crisis on Infinite Earths Giant after reading that it contained a new story along with some reprints from the original 1985 maxi-series.

    And the original writer, Mark Wolfman, was co-writing with Marc Guggenheim, so I thought, "That's interesting - new stories based on the original story."

   Wrong! I should have looked more closely at the cover, because if features characters from the CW TV shows, which recently wrapped its own version of Crisis. (I still have the last two episodes to watch, don't spoil it for me - oh wait, Facebook already spoiled it. Never mind.)

   So the new story focuses (mostly) on the TV versions of these heroes, who - as far as I know - don't appear in any other comic book in existence.

   Look, I get it - the TV shows are popular, the big crossover event was a great way to bring more viewers in, and a comics tie-in makes sense - but it still feels like an attempt to separate the readers from their cash through chicanery.

   And this isn't even a "one and done" story - it's continued into (I assume) another Giant issue.

   I'll be passing on that one.

Grade: B-

---------------------

No comments: