Sunday, December 22, 2019

Doomsday Clock #12 (of 12)


   Like anyone who writes reviews, I hate to admit that I was wrong - but I think I was wrong about Doomsday Clock.

   Throughout its run, I have bemoaned this merger of DC's universe and the Watchmen universe as being too dark, too humorless, and trying too hard to bring together two wildly disparate concepts.

   But with this issue, writer Geoff Johns leaves behind the darkness - mostly - and redeems Dr. Manhattan (at least to some extent) during his final showdown with Superman

   There are still some big issues or story points that are getting dusted over - and the resolutions of ongoing issues a bit too easy - but at least it feels like a spirit of the DC Universe has been redeemed.

   The art by Gary Frank is, as always, stunning - and he gets to work is almost every character in town in this issue.

   I was against this series, and I really didn't think Johns was going to be able to stick the landing - but he did it, by damn.

   An interesting, thought-provoking series, and well worth reading.

Grade: A-

-----------------------

   
   

No comments: