Friday, July 19, 2019

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #1 (of 12)


   I really wasn't planning to pick up this issue.

   I've always been fan of Superman, but I haven't really followed the stories about the Superman Family since the '60s - I admit fondness for the early, offbeat stories about Jimmy Olsen

   But then I saw that the writer on this series is Matt Fraction, so I had to give it a go. I'm so glad I did!

   The series manages to merge the old goofy Silver Age fantasies with a more modern, comedic style. So we get Jimmy sky-diving from space, arguing with Perry White, and trying to solve a murder. (No, not all at once.)

   It's all fast and fun and a real delight! 

   The art by Steve Lieber manages to balance the humor and the action nicely, and sets up a unique world for Jimmy to run in.

   So, if you're looking for a book with humor and heart, look no further - Jimmy is everyone's pal!

Grade: A

------------------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bought it as well. Much better than expected.