Sunday, May 19, 2019

Superman #11


  I admit it, I was dubious that writer Brian Michael Bendis was going to be able to make Superman "work."

   But those doubts are gone now - he has the series hitting on all cylinders!

   The Man of Steel has been going through a variety of trials, including the disappearance of his wife and son, and the appearance of a powerful new foe who seems unbeatable.

   So we're getting interesting adventures, lots of twists and turns in the plot, great action sequences, and some great "personal" moments among the members of the Kent (or El) family.

   But what I really like is Superman's attitude. He exudes confidence, like there's nothing he can't handle (though he is fallible, and he makes mistakes - but he deals with them).

   It's a refreshing version of the character, and to see how he handles a space battle between different races is a real treat.

   Long may this run continue!

Grade: A

-----------------------

3 comments:

Billy Hogan said...

I'll get my copy around the end of the month from Discount Comic Book Service. Sol far I've enjoyed Brian Michael Bendis' run on Superman, except for the destruction of Kandor and the accelerated aging of Jon, although I did like the way they did it (if that makes sense). I've enjoyed Bendis' writing from his series POWERS. I just hope DC doesn't decide to get rid of Jon in the future. I'm enjoying seeing the Man OF Steel in the position his own Father was in, raising a Superhero Son.

Chuck said...

Billy, I feel the same way about both Kandor and Jon - but I can understand the reasoning behind it (although I'm still not sure I understand why Jor-El is still alive - I missed that arc).

Mr. Brooks said...

Bendis fulfills the most important job requirement in writing Superman...YOU MUST UNDERSTAND THE CHARACTER. As for Jon, all I can say is I hope we get the new adventures of "Superboy and The Legion of Super-Heroes!"