Sunday, March 31, 2019

Dial H for Hero #1


   I have to admit that, as a young'un, I was a big fan of DC's Dial "H" for Hero series.

   It was a goofy concept - a boy named Robby Reed finds a dial that allows him to become a random, never-before-seen super-hero (with one notable exception) by dialing the word "H-E-R-O" on a mysterious dial.

   Now the series is back with a new kid - Miguel - who faces death after a bicycle jump goes wrong. 

   A mysterious dial appears, and an equally-mysterious voice urges his to dial "H" for Hero! 

   And that's when I started to laugh.

   Something tells me that most young people today would have no idea how to use s rotary phone (check out the videos on YouTube).

   Still, it's a fun start to this series, and the first superhero spotlighted is having fun at the expense of a certain era of comics.

   So far the focus is a bit scattered, but like before, I'm hooked on the H-Dial!

Grade: A-

----------------

   

3 comments:

Hoy Murphy said...

I have bought Dial H in all of its incarnations and I will buy this when it is collected.

Kevin Findley said...

One notable exception - Plastic Man!

Chuck said...

Kevin, that's correct - and if I recall correctly, that appearance of Plas was that character's first appearance in a DC Comic (and the first appearance since his original comic was canceled). I remember picking up that issue and being aware that Plastic Man was a character who had appeared years before, but at that point I hadn't read any of his original stories.