Saturday, November 10, 2018

Green Lantern #1


   I had high hopes for the new creative team on Green Lantern - but my feelings are a bit mixed.

   I think they're taking the right approach - taking the comic "back to the basics" is almost always a good idea - but things are still a bit muddled.

   The story starts on an alien world, where a truly strange member of the Green Lantern Corps is dealing with some deadly criminals.

   Eventually we shift to Earth, where Hal Jordan comes across a crashed alien spaceship (in a nice throwback to his origin) and goes in search of those same criminals - though I'm not sure how they ended up crashing on Earth. Seems like a mighty big coincidence.

   I like that writer Grant Morrison seems to be stripping this down to its essence - it's almost a police procedural. And hey, there's actual science on display here - that always makes me happy.

   I like Liam Sharp's art a lot, although he seems much more at home with alien landscapes (and grisly moments) than with the usual superheroics.

   There was a lot to squeeze into this issue, so hopefully there will be room in upcoming stories to make Hal more likable. He's very good at his job (Space Policeman), and he's cool and sharp (as we'd expect from a Test Pilot), but we need a reason to be in his corner. 

   So far, he's kind of a jerk. Here's hoping that part doesn't last.

   And while I'm putting in requests, I'd like to see some Earthbound adventures - he shouldn't spend all his time on alien worlds.

Grade: A-

-------------------- 

No comments: