Friday, February 2, 2018

Dark Nights Metal #5 (of 6)

   Congrats to the creative team of Dark Nights Metal for managing to craft a story that's almost completely impenetrable.

   (Perhaps that was the goal, given the title.)

   I admit that I'm reviewing under a bit of a handicap, since I've only been reading the Dark Nights series, and none of the spinoff issues (much to the consternation of my comics shop owner), so I'm no doubt missing important elements along the way.

   The story spooling out here involves DC's big guns - Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Green Lantern, along with a few others, all searching for... something. Different exotic metals that are important to saving the Earth from an invasion of evil armor-wearing Batmen.

   It involves the Nth metal, which allowed Hawkman to fly, and apparently that hero and Hawkgirl are involved. Of course, doom is closing in and there's no hope for our heroes to save the day.

   Until next issue.

   Look, this just isn't aimed at me. It's dark, hopeless, grim and gritty, and there are only a few writers who have been able to make that sort of story work - and this one isn't getting it. The art is great, but the story is a brick.

   It just feels like a weak attempt to merge comics with heavy metal music, and it's just a bad fit.

   For me.

Grade: C+

--------------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I gave up some time ago... Yawn.