Monday, April 3, 2017

Kamandi Challenge #3 (of 12)

   Man, I thought I was going to love this issue of Kamandi Challenge.

   It was written by Jimmy Palmiotti and drawn by Amanda Conner, a  creative team whose work I always enjoy.

   But this issue just didn't work for me at all (which proves anyone can stumble, I suppose).

   The art is wonderful as always - expressive, kinetic and loaded with personality. But the story...

   I mean, for a Kamandi story you expect some over-the-top action - but little or no actual violence. (Yes, there's a big difference between the two.)

   But here we see brutality, humiliation, near-cannibalism and death - including horrific decapitations!

    I'll give the team credit for crafting a terrific cliffhanger - and I love the art - but this issue was a real disappointment.

   I just imagine Kirby reading it and saying, "What the hell was that?"

Grade: C

------------------

No comments: