Thursday, August 20, 2015

Justice League #43

   This "event contained in a single series" hits a fever pitch with this issue, as two of the most powerful forces of evil collide - literally!

   It's a war between Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor, and the Justice League may be powerless to stop a fight that threatens the Earth.

   The League has its own problems - Batman has taken control of - or is possessed by - Metron's Mobius Chair. It's providing a lot of information, but what is it doing to Batman?

   And the League's most powerful member (Superman) - and its most evil (Lex Luthor) - have been exiled to, and are fighting for their lives on, Apokolips!

   This is the kind of story Geoff Johns excels at - larger-than-life conflicts, lots of powerhouses involved (including some of Jack Kirby's iconic creations), serious stakes in the story, and a terrific cast!

   He paired with artist Jason Fabok, who turns in some impressive work here. His character designs are terrific! If I had to criticize something, I'd say his page flow is still a bit wobbly in places - but that's stretching it.

   If you're suffering event fatigue, this is definitely the series for you - it packs a lot of story between the pages or a regular comic. It's so retro, it's almost revolutionary!

Grade: A

---------------------

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will buy this book because of this review, but I feel confident that I will be mad at you after I read it....

Chuck said...

Ha! Sadly, there's no money-back guarantees here - just the knowledge that I'm telling you how I honestly felt about the comic. So far, this story has been working for me (though as always, it's just a bit more violent than I'd like).

Anonymous said...

Just kidding, Chuck. Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

I bought it. Meh. You owe me four bucks. My comic shop said I'd "like if I liked the New Gods." Maybe it's me....

Chuck said...

Sorry about that! Alas, refunds aren't part of the service. ;-)

This is why all reviews should end with the phrase, "Your mileage may vary."